QueueMetrics > QueueMetrics installation

[queuemetrics] context and FreePBX

<< < (2/2)

trymes:
Nothing is wrong with it. However, I generally prefer to avoid adding any custom dialplan code to FreePBX installations whenever possible. While it is easy and generally quite safe, I feel it is best to avoid if possible, as future changes to FreePBX can break your custom code in ways you might not anticipate.

In other words, if you don't need to use custom dialplan code, don't. If you have to, it's not the end of the world.

mudslide567:
if you create an extensions_queuemetrics.conf file and include it in freePBX's extensions_custom.conf, you will not and cannot break freePBX even when freePBX does version upgrades. 

trymes:
That's accurate, but I still stand by my preference for not adding custom code unless necessary. While it is unlikely that you will break FreePBX, you might affect the dialplan in ways you don't expect and don't immediately notice, especially if you later upgrade FreePBX. This is less likely for things like ChanSpy, but for things like Queue login, you might end up doing things that undermine what FreePBX is designed to do.

To get right down to it, FreePBX is a pretty complex beast, and any custom additions to the dialplan increase the risk of encountering unusual behavior. For that reason I think it is best to avoid any custom additions WHEN POSSIBLE. Sometimes it isn't possible, and QM looks to be one of those times, but I want to dig a little deeper and see what options are out there that would allow me to add as little custom code as possible. I'm thinking of things like creating a context that echoes entries to queue log and then points to the built-in queue toggle, rather than recreating the wheel, etc.

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version